Re: (erielack) ERIE IN EASTERN OHIO(2)

In a message dated 01/18/2000 11:52:51 PM EST, "kdegroff_@_csi.com" writes:

<< It seems that in the early 90s CSX was in the midst of a later-killed
 plan to single track the B&O between Willard and New Castle (to match
 the 60/40 single/double track arrangement west of Willard that existed
 back then.  They only got one segment of double track reduced
 (Warwick-Barberton) when the project was stopped.  Now with the whole
 line west of Willard re-double-tracked, this 'bonehead decision' is the
 only segment of single track remaining on the B&O across the state of
 Ohio.  Now, after the CR split, that small piece of single track has
 become an admitted operational problem.   >>

To clarify, I believe PC/CR had trackage rights between Arlington Street,
Akron and JO Tower (about 1 mile). The Akron Branch diverged from the PC
Cleveland/C&P line at Hudson, joined the B&O at Arlington Street/Akron, and
shared trackage from here for about a mile to JO Tower (about 1 mile) where
it got onto its' own trackage again to access their South Akron yard and
service the various industries in place at the time (JO was also where the
parralleling B&O and EL crossed at a downtown diamond) down to Lambert.  From
here to Warwick (about 9 miles), the PC & B&O shared trackage down to Warwick
where the Akron branch left the B&O for the remaining distance down to
Orrville, where it joined the PRR main.  My understanding is that B&O
owned/maintained one track, and PC/CR owned/maintainted the other. When the
Akron Branch was up for abandonment, CSX passed on acquiring CR's Lambert to
Warwick track for reasons I'm not aware of.  Unfortunately today, it is a
major operational bottleneck, but I've heard that CSX intends to put in the
second track to have a smoother operation...

Rich Behrendt/ELHS #384