(erielack) The Piermont Branch/Erie Gauging

> I'm one of those who feels that Lincoln, the Lackawanna and the Erie were
> correct.  Wide gauge was the way to go, and that six foot should have been
>
> standard.  Imagine how much wider and how much more volume could be moved
> in
> a freight car if it were two feet wider.  Imagine a nice aisle in a
> passenger
> car, or a sleeping car big enough to really sleep in.  If the six-foot
> decision was made then, we'd have never known the difference today.
>
>                               ....Mike

  Wow, imagine how much wider RR Crossings would have been today if the wide
gauge was standard. I wonder how many of those lucky bastards that just
missed being struck by a train by a few inches would not have made it across
the tracks in time. Or would the early automobile manufacturers have changed
the length of there axle's so Hi-Rail cars would not drop onto the ties :-)
.... Imagine the consequences!

Todd EHS#1318