Re: (erielack) The Piermont Branch

The one good thing about the 6' gauge was that the Erie ended up with wider
clearances side-to-side and any other east-west railroad between New York
and Chicago.  As a result, it could handle freight wider than other lines.

Ken B.
At 06:08 AM 1/15/00 -0500, Kurt wrote:
>The basis of the wider gauge (6 ft) had to have been the result of some
>thought by the original planners. As Pontiac Div of GM likes to say , "Wider
>is better." A wider gage would have allowed for wider cars which would have
>improved ride quality for passengers and increased load capability for frt.
>
>Humm, for an aditional 15-1/2", how much more frt can you carry. I won't
>bore your with the math.
>
>Thanks, Kurt Thompson

>Visit the erielack photopage at http://el-list.railfan.net

Kenneth Bush, A.R.M., C.P.C.U.
Vice President
Insurance Audit & Inspection Company, Indianapolis
(317) 259-1013  Fax:  (317) 465-1004
"kbush_@_insuranceaudit.com"
www.insuranceaudit.com