Re: (erielack) Which Stewart Airport is it

"Inlinebob_@_aol.com" wrote:
> The burning question in these Tappan Zee threads is "Where is Stewart =

> Airport." Some say Nyack, some say Newburgh which is where I think it i=
s.

The last time I went by a sign that said 'Stewart Airport', it was west o=
f NY
300 near Thruway exit 17 for Newburgh.  The former US Air Force base is s=
outh
of NY 17K and I-84.  My 1974 Mobil map of 'Greater New York' shows the ai=
rport
at this location.  There was an airport for light aircraft between Spring=

Valley and Nanuet called Ramapo Valley, but a Shop-Rite shopping center h=
as
been there for many years.  There's no airport in Nyack...

> =

> Given that, there are then TWO rail routes being considered for connect=
ion
to the east side of the Hudson... the Erie via Nyack to Suffern and beyon=
(NS) and the CSX River Line up to Newburgh.

I don't think so.  The article says there are two parts to the rail link.=
  One
is between Stewart and Port Jervis.  I think they garbled this; it makes =
more
sense if it is between the airport and the existing line to Port Jervis. =
think that's what the MTA said.  The other part is between Suffern and Po=
rt
Chester via the bridge.  The Rockland County part could be done partially=
 by
reconstruction of the Erie Piermont line or by going over the Thruway; yo=
know which I prefer.  NY-MTA owns this line as far as I know; it is not
officially abandoned although it has been idle for ages.  The Westchester=

County part most likely will be planned to run over I-287, and could incl=
ude
connecting tracks to the Hudson or Harlem line, or even the New Haven (to=
ward
that city) or just transfer stations.  The Putnam branch is abandoned nor=
th of
the NYC line, and didn't offer service to GCT, so it's not a real candida=
te
compared to active lines.  I feel that trans-bridge ridership will be pit=
iful
if through service to Grand Central is not offered, although there are ma=
ny
people living in Rockland who work in Westchester, especially White Plain=
s.

The article says NOTHING about connections east of the Hudson other than =
at
Port Chester, which is on the NEW HAVEN line.
 =

> =

> Unless of course, someone is putting the Walkill RR back ;-)

I don't think that accomplishes much; it faces the wrong way.  A change o=
directions or a slow-speed wye track means delays.  Plus it's indirect (a=
bout
10 miles longer) for the expected major destination, New York City.

> =

> Given that, it seems that the bridge will have a dramatic freight rail
impact for both NS and CSX... one that would allow CSX to give up the nor=
thern
part of the Hudson line totally to Amtrak (retaining local rights) or if =
full wye was built on the east side CSX would have a "double-track" route=
Piermont. =

Only if MTA allows NS or CSX to use it.  They don't have to.  And what wo=
uld
they do at Piermont?  Transfer containers to barges?

> =

> More interesting for NS is the opportunity open traffic to New England =
that
cannot move under Penn Station.

They have to go somewhere east from Port Chester.  On the New Haven?  Wit=
AMTRAK trying to do 100 between SHELL and New Haven?  And 150 beyond?  Or=

would they buy the P&W's rights?

> =

> Also interesting to the dreamer in me is the chance for Amtrak to resto=
re =

NY-Buffalo/Chicago service on the Erie directly from GCT or NYP!

This would require a major financial commitment by a big shipper, like UP=
S or
USPS, who would dictate when the trains run, like the proposal to split t=
he
Boston section off the LAKE SHORE LIMITED that surfaced in the fall.  I d=
on't
think there are enough potential passengers on the Erie route west of Por=
Jervis to cover even 1/3 of the operating costs.  AMTRAK isn't going to a=
dd
trains that can't cover their expenses, either with help from a state
government or from a shipper in addition to the passenger fares.  This wo=
uld
probably be a 24 hour ride, but it MIGHT offer daylight service in Ohio,
Indiana and Illinois, which would be a plus.

Gary Kazin
Rockaway, New Jersey

New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!

(I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.