(erielack) Re: Paper, was Morristown And Erie

Gripp, William  [NCSUS] <"WGRIPP_@_NCSUS.JNJ.COM"> wrote:
> They may not have taken in "raw wood" but pulp.  There are nonintegared=

> paper mills that don't make wood pulp on site but receive it from a pul=
> mill.  This is more economical when wood sources are a distance away.

Whippany Paper also bought much scrap paper locally; I remember selling t=
hem a
load of newspaper once.  I went to the mill entrance off Parsippany Road;=
 they
had me go to a scale somewhere on plant, unload, then return to the scale=
=2E  I
got paid a penny a pound for the difference for hundreds of pounds of pap=
er. =

Later they set up a 'retail' store on Ridgedale Ave across from the Morri=
County Mall.  If you sorted the newsprint, white and colored papers you g=
ot
better prices for higher grades.  They also bought aluminum beverage cans=
 for
20 cents/pound, about one cent each.

Marcal is now (for many years) a recycling mill.  All their paper is made=
 from
used paper, so you can really feel good when you use their tissue, napkin=
s and
towels.  Pulping is the smelly and environmentally worst end of the
papermaking process, so we benefit doubly by avoiding the most polluting =
part
of making paper as well as avoiding filling dumps with used paper.  Their=

table napkins come in gigantic sizes with most of the air squeezed out, s=
o the
3000-count package is less than 3 feet long and actually has some weight =
it, reducing shipping and handling costs.

Gary Kazin
Rockaway, New Jersey

New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!

(I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.