(erielack) =?UTF-8?B?UkU6IChlcmllbGFjaykgUkU6IChlcmllbGFjaykgTW9ycmlzdG93?= =?UTF-8?B?biBBbmQgRXJpZS4uLi4uLi4u?=

- -----Original Message-----
From: Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul) [mailto:"paultup_@_lucent.com"]
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2000 9:48 AM
To: "MIKEDC3_@_aol.com"; erielack@internexus.net
Subject: (erielack) RE: (erielack) Morristown And Erie........

Whippany Paper Board took in LOTS of hopper of coal for its powerplant. I'm
not sure how the raw wood for the paper got there, though. It shipped out
paper in boxcars. I know that they received covered hoppers in later years -
there was a covered hopper "shaker" right next to the M&E main. The covered
hoppers probably held kaolin, a white clay that is often used in paper
production.

They may not have taken in "raw wood" but pulp.  There are nonintegared
paper mills that don't make wood pulp on site but receive it from a pulp
mill.  This is more economical when wood sources are a distance away.

Not sure about the
watertowers, but paper production involves a LOT of water - primarily for
steam.

A significant amount is used to create the pulp slurry also.

I heard
> that Bee Meadow Pond on Renalds Ave. was once A Claypit for A
> Brick factory
> and that one-day while digging clay they hit A spring and
> flooded the pit.

There is a brick chimney from the plant just west and north of the lake by
the town pool.