Re: (erielack) DL&W 565

> Anyway, at the end of the D&MM steam era, in 1960, Bill Whitehead bough=
t the
565 for a tourist road he was starting in Chester, N.J., called the Black=

River Railroad, on the CNJ's Chester Branch.  The locomotive and a few
passenger cars actually steamed and operated in Chester when neighbors of=
 the
railroad fought the frivolous enterprise and won.  Lackawanna's Chester B=
ranch
follows the course of the Black River, which is where the name came from.=
 =

Route 206 still crosses the Black River north of Chester.  The legal deta=
ils
of why the BR&W left Chester is described in Lowenthal's Iron Mine
Railroads...

Although the DLW Chester Branch parallels the Black River in the Chester =
area,
that part had been abandoned and torn up in the 1930's.  The 565 ran on t=
he
CNJ, across the street from Larison's Turkey Farm.  The Chester Mall (for=
mer
A&P) occuppies this site now.  A friend took some b&w photos of the 565 b=
ack
then...

I've read the section in Lowenthal's Iron Mine Railroads, and it still do=
esn't
make sense.  It says that NJ was designing I-78, and refused to provide a=
underpass for the railroad, severing it, thus forcing the railroad to mov=
e. =

But the Chester Branch is doesn't cross I-78, which does cross the High B=
ridge
line north of White House, and there definitely is an underpass on that l=
ine. =

I am confused...

Gary Kazin
Rockaway, New Jersey

New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!

(I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.