Re: (erielack) D&MM..DL&W 565

> It was then sold to a group of individuals interested in starting a tou=
rist
line in Morris County (no relation to the Morris County Central, though).=
  The
group was planning on purchasing some track around the Lake Jct. area in =
New
Jersey (not sure if it was DL&W or CNJ track). I have a black and white p=
hoto
in my collection of the 565 wearing DL&W-style Roman lettering on the ten=
der
reading "BLACK RIVER." Where does the Black River name come from? The Bla=
ck
River, which runs right near Lake Jct. (now you know!) Apparently,
negotiations fell through on the track, and they looked elsewhere. The 56=
5 was
not kept, however.

Seth Taylor is a Dover boy, and he took some b&w's of the 565 under steam=
 in
CHESTER on the CNJ engine house track across the street from Larison's Tu=
rkey
Farm, now the parking lot where the A&P used to be.  One photo shows a pl=
ace
to donate money.  The plan was to use the CNJ Chester Branch, but it was
'abandoned out from under them' before they could buy it from the CNJ.  T=
hen
they moved to Flemington, but kept the name.

The Black River originates in the meadows northeast of Chester, including=

watershed as far up as Roxbury; the river near Lake Jct is the ROCKAWAY.

Gary Kazin
Rockaway, New Jersey

New Jersey Transit - THE WAY TO GO!!!

(I have no affiliation with New Jersey Transit.)

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.