RE: (erielack) Erie Russian Decs.

> Greetigns guys, just got my Feb. MR today, it is about a week
> later than
> normal. I saw the add for the upcomming Spectrum 2-10-0 for Erie. Few
> questions, 1) Anyone have an idea about how prototypical this
> model will be
> for the Erie? I don't think shots of the pilot are available
> yet, but some of
> you seem to have connections, 2) If the engine is reasonably
> prototypical for
> the Erie, were they still running in 1957. (I don't know when
> the Erie
> Finished dieseling) 3) If they were around in 1957 were any
> operating in the
> area around Meadville to Jamestown. I am actually modeling
> the Pennsy between
> Erie an Warren Pa. But the Erie was parallel between Union
> City and Corry.
> Thanks in advance. Brian C

These should be exactly correct for the Erie. Baldwin built a whole bunch of
these 2-10-0's for Russia, and when the Bolshevik Revolution struck in 1917,
the sale was cancelled. They had a whole bunch to unload, so they were sold
to the Erie, WM, Frisco and ACL. There are minor detail differences (some
Erie J-2 Decapods had "bald" smokebox fronts, for example), but none too
major to make a difference.

I don't think they were running by 1957. I'd be willing to wager a guess
that they were all out of service by 1950. The Susquehanna's J-2's were out
of service by 1945.