Re: (erielack) DL&W Round Roof Box Cars

In a message dated 12/31/99 5:34:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
"bshaffer_@_epix.net" writes about Tom Schmieder's note:

>  What interests me is what appears to be a round roof Lackawanna
>  > boxcar sitting on the DL&W mainline up on the hill in front of Hotel
Casey.
>  > The car appears to be similar to those used by the N&W, PRR, and
Seaboard.
>  > Of course, the one detail that is obstructed in the photo is the car
> number.

This car was discussed at least twice before on the list, once recently when
I gave a plug for Yungkirth's book.  The car is DL&W 48899, a one-of-a-kind
rebuild of USRA boxcar 44677 by Keyser Valley during December 1939.  Its
similarity to the PRR X-31s is relative.  Lionel and Aristo-Craft would call
it similar. Except for the rounded corners, doors and some appliances, no
major part of the X-31 is similar to the Lackawanna rebuild.

To do a nice job on this car would require combining a few kits and some
cunning. Use the Westerfield USRA box kit, the sides from a Sunshine USRA
rebuild (correct for the inside hieight of 9'4"). Use the Westerfield ends,
but fashion the rounded corners.  The roof was a from Murphy, but it was
smooth and one-piece steel (simple styrene) with raised diamond plate running
boards and end walks. The car has 6-foot Youngstown doors.

Happy New Year                    ....Mike