Re: (erielack) steam engine anatomy

Sir,

I _do_ go to the library, probably more than most from my generation,
but I didn't think it worthy of a flame, (albeit a small one,) for
asking a question of people more knowledgeable than myself on a given
subject during the holiday season when perhaps I wouldn't have the time
to take away from my family.

Next time I'll wait till after I've had the opportunity to search
through that old-fangled card catalog and _then_ perhaps it will be OK
for me to post a question to the list.

Sorry for lack of EL content.

Dave Rutan
- ----------
bob gillis wrote:

> Dave Rutan wrote:
> >
> > Listers,
> >
> > Any ideas on where I can find out about steam engine anatomy?  I'm tired
> > of reading about Baker valve gears when I've no clue where it's even
> > located.
> >

> Sorry but what is wrong with the youger generation. Don't you young
> people know of libraries?  Dave, go to the Sussex County Library or the
> Highlands Cooperative Library Catalog ( from my bad memory but I think
> similar to Morris)and get some books on locomotives.
>
> The Baker valve gear is mounted in the same place as a Walcherts or
> Southern or Joy or several other types of steam admission valves, just
> behind the cylinders and the crossheads.  Stephenson valve gear is
> generally mounted inside the frames as it uses two eccentrics.
>
> bob gillis

- --
DL&W Sussex Branch Memorial
http://members.xoom.com/sbdlw/