Re: (erielack) DL&W Round Roof Box Cars

Schmieder wrote:

> <I recently received my copy of Chuck Yungkurth's book "Trackside around
> Scranton, PA with Ed Miller" and have been reading it voraciously ever
> since.  I came across a photo that Paul Tupaczewski had pointed out to me
> and wondered if anyone on the list could help.  On page 65, the lower photo
> is of Laurel Line freight motor #402 at the Scranton yard with a cut of coal
> cars.  What interests me is what appears to be a round roof Lackawanna
> boxcar sitting on the DL&W mainline up on the hill in front of Hotel Casey.
> The car appears to be similar to those used by the N&W, PRR, and Seaboard.
> Of course, the one detail that is obstructed in the photo is the car number.
> I've never seen or read anything about this type of car on the Lackawanna.
> Does anyone have any information on this car or possible series of cars?
>
> Tom Schmieder>

Was check through old list postings and discovered an answere to your question
by someone elseon another list.
Here is his answere---
"Subject: AnthraciteRR] Trackside Around Scranton is available
     Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:08:45 EST
    From: "MDelvec952_@_aol.com"

From: "MDelvec952_@_aol.com"
My copy just showed up today.  Very well done book, overall, with some
stunning images of the Lackawanna Valley. Almost all of them in bright
sunlight with many views showing scenic vistas.  The era spans from the end
of steam to pre-Conrail.  I don't think that anyone on this list could be
dissappointed in the content and the representation of one of the East's most
fascinating areas.  Highly recommended book.  Can't wait to give it a good
read.

Freight car fans should take note of the photo at the bottom of page 65.  The
Phoebe Snow boxcar above the Erie hopper is Lackawanna's one and only round
roof boxcar, an experimental steel rebuild of a 44000-series USRA wood boxcar
(most of these cars were rebuilt into steel autocars).

                              ....Mike"

Hope this helps
Bob