(erielack) Crew & Engine Change Practices

I'm curious about the practices on the DL&W regarding crew and/or engine
changes.  I recently read that Bath, NY was originally a DL&W division
point.  It indicated locomotives were changed there.  I assume it was the
first such point coming  from Buffalo and that Groveland was all about
helpers.  Were crews changed too?  When it moved further southwest was it
Elmira? Binghamton?

How many crew change locations were there in, say, the 40's and 50's?  I
assume mainline engine crews spent most of their careers traversing the same
1/3 or 1/2 of the route.  Is that true?   How did that work for the
conductors and other crew in passenger trains?  There I had the impression
they made the entire journey.

Reading the bit about Bath made me realize I've only had some hazy
assumptions about how all this worked but never really had any information.
Can anyone give me info or point me to a web site that includes it?