Re: (erielack) An open letter to Railpace Newsmagazine and the ...

Bob wrote:

> Yes, Tom can be harsh at times, but I think it's his way of telling
> the NS they aren't that great thoroughbred they think they are,

> if they got 500 Tom Nemeths blasting them in print...

> Yes, I know, paint jobs do not alter red or black ink, but Tom's
> thinking, and that of thousands of other fans, is if your going to
> paint it, why not make it pleasing to the eye.

> I think Tom does type well into the night, and thinks that
> it will make a difference.

I think we all need to take a deep breath and re-assess the position
in society 'fan' magazines like Railpace, Railfan, Trains, etc have.

It appears that some of us on this list place Railpace on a
higher level than I do with regards to influencing real railroad
business decisions.  A correction is in order.

Make a difference you say?

I was in Brunswick MD on Saturday and watched a Cumberland-Florida coal
train come into the yard with a cab-signal equipped CSX AC60 leading
two CSX AC44s.  On the approach to the yard, which is the last point
where trains headed to the RF&P can change out power if necessary, the
crew (as usual) tested the RF&P-required cab signals for functionality.
Cab signals in the 686 appeared to be problematic as reported by the
crew over the radio, so the train stopped at the yard and mechanical
forces looked at the lead unit before the train continued east.  As
the employees were at work around the lead unit, some pimple-faced kid
with a scanner in his hand and a copy of Railpace in his back pocket
walked up to the men and in the most railfan-lingo way emphatically
TOLD the crew they should 'go on ahead because it says here that
AC60s CAN now lead on the RF&P'.

It made a difference, all right.

I'm afraid I witnessed the 'protege' of 'mentor' magazines like Tom's.
A product philosophy that unintentionally creates the current railfan
'image problem' that will be hard to reverse without alot of
counter-education.

Influence at the corporate level regarding service problems or paint
schemes is NOT what this magazine has.  Creating a generation of
mindless railfan youths whose railroad education is confined to what
is printed on glossy paper is the sad legacy, I'm afraid.

I agree with Charles' original letter.  The magazine was good, but it
has recently 'put a car on the ground'.  Continuing on is certainly a
social derailment.

I am more unsettled, however, over the editorial add-libbing as they
relate to equipping others less educated with fresh criticism-related
one-liners that eventually will make them look stupid in front of real
railroaders somewhere, and going farther, entice them into doing
something that gets them injured, or killed, or another railfan
location padlocked.

> In closing, Yes Tom blasted them. Its his magazine, and he will have
> to live or die by what he says in print.

You are so right-on.

Lastly, Bob, on numerous occasions I have read on this list your
criticism of your new employer.  You spoke of real problems and
pointed out many obvious operational and social defects.  And there
is nothing wrong with anyone criticizing their employer.  But elevating
the stature of magazines (fan rags) like Railpace and inflating the
associated human egos to a level more than they are just because
they are timely 'editorial reinforcements' in a private war
between employees and employer does not do anyone justice.  It only
makes us look stupid.  A nuisance.  Railfans, good or bad, become
part of the problem.

If I recall (and correct me if I'm wrong), CR employees were given
a choice of roads to join. If this is the case with you and you
chose to stay on EL territory and deal with the NS stuff, God speed.

It is disappointing to see NS act the way it does at times, but as
to it being your choice, its your issue.

Respectfully,
Kevin

(heading off to start up the first chapter of
'Operation Glossy-Magazine-Lifesaver', teaching railfan youth
about the mind-numbing dangers of crossing paths with glossy
fan magazines)