(erielack) DL&W RR MOUNTAIN-TYPE LOCOMOTIVES

Fellow EL Mail List Members,

	Again, I was looking through my recently purchased railroad book
titled, "Atlantic Coast Line Passenger Service The Postwar Years" by Larry
Goolsby and noticed on page 16, that the DL&W RR sold to the ACL in 1943,
five Mountain-type (4-8-2 wheel arrangement) locomotives to ease their
wartime power shortage.  According to the caption on the photograph that was
snapped on October 21, 1945, "The engines were assigned primarily to the
Southwind over its Albany (GA) - Tampa (FL) run."  Does anyone from the list
know if they kept their original DL&W numbers when sold to the ACL?  The
number on the steam engine in the photograph is 1403.  The photograph
caption further goes on to state, "The seemingly endless heavyweight train
carried coaches and sleepers from Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, and
Atlanta."  I wish the photographer could have photographed the whole train
consist but in my estimation, it is a long string of heavyweight-type cars,
maybe 20 or so.  Would that number of heavyweight-type of cars be a correct
estimate for this type of steam locomotive to be able to pull over that
particular topography down south?  Also, the steam engine looked in pretty
good shape at the time of the photograph.  Wasn't the DL&W RR still in its
twilight of steam engine power for the time (1943)?  Therefore, why would
they sell five of their steam locomotives to another railroad when they
themselves would (might) utilize them?  Thank you.

Sincerely,

John Caselli
ELHS #2429