Re: (erielack) Dining Car experiences

I had the pleasure of dining on DL&W and EL diners at least four times:

My first was probably about 1958 when my father managed to organize an
official cab ride in the Phoebe Snow from Hoboken to Scranton.  We were
accompanied by a Road Foreman who I think was named Bill O'Donnell.  We were
supposed to ride the cab of the Phoebe Snow back as well, but as it turned
out, Mr. Shoemaker was riding, so we were bumped to the back.  Can't recall
what we ate in the diner for dinner.

About a year later, my father drove us to Dover (we lived in Morristown) so
that we could ride the New Yorker into Hoboken and have breakfast in the
diner.  I seem to remember the bacon for some reason, but little else.

The third time was when I must have been about 10, my grandfather took me on
a day trip from Summit (where he lived) to Scranton and return.  We ate both
lunch going and dinner returning.  I still have the menus dated February
1960.  Can't recall what I had for lunch, but returning I had "Braised
Sirlon Tips with mushrooms" (priced at $2.95).  A DL&W famous bread was
"Krusty Korn Kobs" which is on the menu for $.20.

My last dining experience was on the EL.  Tom Kelcec and I rode the Phoebe
Snow from Hoboken to Scranton and return about a week before it's demise in
November 1966.  Tom's father, George, accompanied us.  CBS was on board and
filming an interview of a steward on the Tavern Lounge on the way up.  We
ate both lunch and diner, but again can't recall the food.

Though I don't have clear recollections of the food, it is great to recall
the experiences.  I am appreciative of a grandfather and father who indulged
and fueled my lifelong love of trains.

Bill Botkin
Englewood, Colorado