(erielack) Re: Railpace

A recent exchange on the MTRA newsgroup:

"Because of editorial liberties taken with El Simon's Railpace Amtrak
news column, Mr. Simon has left the magazine.  The November issue is
the last one in which Mr. Simon's column will appear. Carl Perlman is
temporarily taking over the Amtrak news gathering duties.

a reply to that:

"Editorial liberties"? I'd guess that some things were put into El's
column by those he worked for that he didn't write, and probably
didn't agree with."

and the response:

"That is exactly what happened. As I wrote in response to some news
items quoted by Bob Scheurle several weeks ago, Mr. Simon did not say
the "L" in HHL stood for "lousy, according to an Amtrak employee."
Mr. Simon also did not mention the comment from an "Amtrak official"
along the lines of "not starting Acela Express service now will save
money."