(erielack) More Delaware River wreck pictures.

Hi everyone,
Remember the wreck picts. from last week?  Well I mailed the guy who had them
online and asked if he had any more or could tell me anything more about the
site. I got this reply from him today. I think it was real nice of him to
post these for  us!
                                                       MIKE
=========
Hi Mike,

The train wreck site is fairly well known among New Jersey divers. I had heard
about it from my friends and followed their directions. Rich Garret has an
extensive web site about dive sites in New Jersey ( New Jersey SCUBA Diver
http://umg.umdnj.edu/Scuba/index.html), and he has a little bit of information
about the train wreck, mostly just directions on how to get there and how to
find
the wrecks.

There appear to be two cars on the bottom. One of them is upside down and
fairly
badly damaged. This one seems to be just a flat bed. Curiously, there is a
truck
rear axle with double wheels on *top* of the wreck (remember, it's upside
down).
Is this what you call a Piggieback? I don't know if the axle is from the
original
wreck or is simply junk that's been thrown in the river later. Unfortunately I
don't seem to have any pictures of it.

The other car is about thirty feet downstream from the first one. This one is
an
open box car, it has no top (or at least there is nothing left of it). It is
sitting fairly deep in the mud, only the sides are visible, and the inside is
almost completely filled with mud. The carriages etc. are totally inside the
mud.
It has two ladders at one end, only one door, at the middle of one side
(diagonally opposite the ladders).

I've posted the rest of my pictures at the web site, follow this link to get
there: trainwreck
(http://www.iki.fi/harri.ojanen/photo/delgap/trainwreck/kuvat.html). There are
quite a few pictures so the thumbnails will take a little bit of patience to
download. Enjoy!

I did two dives there, in March a year and a half ago. The water was slightly
on
the chilly side, the temperature was about 38 degrees. Also visibility wasn't
very
good, only about 5 feet. But these are typical conditions for anyone diving
in the
North East.

If I understood your message correctly you think both cars are from the 1975
wreck? There are rumours about other cars in the same area, even a steam
engine,
but I doubt them. We did a fairly extensive underwater search in the area and
these two cars appear to be the only ones. It's possible, of course, that the
1948
wreck happened at a slightly different location so that the cars from that
wreck
are further than the area we searched.

Feel free to post this message on your mailing list and drop me an e-mail if
you
have any further questions or would like to get more information about the
pictures. Also I'd like to hear if you find out anything more about the
wrecks.

Best,
Harri

"harri.ojanen_@_mathengine.com"

"MIKEDC3_@_aol.com" wrote:

>  Hello Harri,
>  I saw the pictures of the train wreck in the water gap on your web site and
> found them very interesting.
> You see, I am A member of the Erie Lackawanna RR. Historical Society and
also
> am A member of the Erie Lackawanna e-mail list. After I saw the pictures I
> posted the URL on our mailing list and there was alot of interest in them.
> Most of the people on the list are wondering if you have any more picts. of
> those frieght cars and if so is it possible that you could post them please?
> One of our members said the cars in the pictures are from the 1975 wreck as
> the suspencion parts shown would not be on the cars from the 40's. He also
> thinks there should be Piggieback cars down there from 75. The car's from
the
> 1948 wreck were coverd cement hoppers that would have been loaded in the
> Portland Pa. area.
>  The other thing we are wondering is if you could please tell how you found
> the cars, What else is down there, or the story behind your dive there?
>
>                                                                      Thank
You
>                                                                    Michael
DeCarlo