RE: (erielack) New Erie RS3 photos...

> Paul,
>
> It has been a common topic on other boards that the Atlas
> RS-3 shell's
> measurements are way, way off. Have you compared it to
> drawings? I do not
> have any RS-3 plans at home. I am hemming and hawing on the
> Rutland set, but
> if the shell is that bad... I come seeking the truth. ;-)
>
> Rob

I haven't taken a ruler to it, but I have heard similar stories. From what I
gather, the most accurate shell out there is the (surprise!) MDC one,
followed by the Stewart kit, and then the Atlas models. I think the problem
is that the Atlas kit is designed to fit their underframe from the
RS11/C424/C425, which meant some modifications, obviously.

I have a pair of these, and to me, the measurements are not overly
noticeable - what *IS* noticable to me, however, is that the louvers on the
hood doors appear to be the wrong size. Additionally, something doesn't look
*right* about the cab, but I can't put my finger on it.

Regardless, I still think it's a very nice model - painted up and detailed,
you'd be hard pressed to criticize it. Only thing I need now (HEY MODELING
FOLKS! LISTEN UP!) is someone to make a detail part of the large boxy
retrofit louvers that the Erie (and later EL) added to the majority of the
900's (and to some of the 1000's). Right now, I was going to try and
scratchbuild the part and cast some in resin, but... if someone knows
someone who would feel compelled to injection mold such a part, well.... :)

I can provide the dimensions and an isometric drawing I made of the part, if
that will help.... :)