(erielack) NJ Rail Museum moves ahead

Full steam ahead for museum=20

State General Assembly approves bill=20

to fund master plan, a giant step forward.

By WILLIAM GUHL

The Express-Times

TRENTON =97 Efforts to bring New Jersey's official railroad museum to Warren=20
County took another step forward Monday as the full Assembly approved=20
legislation authorizing a master plan for putting the museum in Phillipsburg=
.

The General Assembly voted 70-2-5 to approve a bill that would allocate=20
$500,000 toward the development of a master plan for building the New Jersey=20
Railroad and Transportation Museum in Phillipsburg.

While the bill must still clear the state Senate, passage by the full=20
Assembly puts the long-awaited project a giant step closer to becoming=20
reality.

Phillipsburg had been chosen as the most appropriate site for the=20
transportation museum by the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Museum=20
Commission, chaired by Assemblyman Alex DeCroce, R-Morris.

The bill allocating $500,000 is sponsored by DeCroce and Assemblyman Leonard=20
Lance, R-Warren/Hunterdon.

Lance said the museum will be crucial to economic development in the region,=20
including the Lehigh Valley.

"It will be the greatest single thing that could occur in the revitalization=20
of Phillipsburg," he said.

The museum would be next to a 23-acre town-owned recreational park, near the=20
confluence of the Lehigh and Delaware rivers.

Supporters note the museum would be close to the Two Rivers Landing visitors=20
center in Easton, which contains the popular Crayola Factory and the Nationa=
l=20
Canal Museum. The visitors center already attracts thousands each year.

Lance said it is important for the Phillipsburg project to go forward to=20
ensure that tourism thrives on both sides of the Delaware River.

"We want to make both sides of the river a source of tourism and, of course,=20
my concern is our side of the river," he said. "It is clear based upon=20
studies nationwide that people will travel to a first-rate transportation=20
museum."

Backers of the Phillipsburg site note that the town has a long history of=20
being a transportation hub, having hosted five railroads, five trolley=20
companies, ferry stations, early turnpikes and numerous truck and bus=20
companies.

"This is another step in the process," Mayor Tom Corcoran said. "Everything=20
has been positive to date.

"We=92re going to have to work very hard in the Senate," he added. "I=92m ve=
ry=20
optimistic we will prevail there as well."

Other towns also lobbied for the site. When the bill was released from the=20
Assembly Appropriations Committee on May 3, Assemblyman Guy Gregg,=20
R-Hunterdon, voted against the measure because he felt a proposed site in=20
Netcong-Port Morris should also be studied. Gregg voted against the bill=20
Monday, as did Assemblyman Neil Cohen, D-Union.

Lance noted that the nonpartisan, independent New Jersey Railroad and=20
Transportation Museum Commission selected Phillipsburg as the best site. He=20
said he is convinced the commission made the correct choice.

"I have always believed that Phillipsburg was the best site," Lance said. "W=
e=20
have to make sure the museum is sited properly and that it is well done, and=20
I am confident that both of those things can happen in Phillipsburg."