(erielack) Syracuse accident

Bill Kisselstein wrote......

>>During the EL era everything I've seen has shown 1270-series GP7/9's an=
some RS2/3's up here, with the Geeps in lashups of up to 4.   I know on t=
he
Syracuse side passenger trains got a single E, and way back an FM switche=
had an accident on the elevated section - ran away and almost crashed
through the side barrier to land on the cars parked below.<<

That's not quite the way I remember that accident.  As I recall, there we=
re
some loaded cars of limestone up near Jamesville that got away and swoope=
down the hill, intercepting the Syracuse station switcher (killing its
engineer in the process) and pushing it through the side barrier of the
elevated line.  Even today, you can see the patch in the concrete where i=
happened.

At the time, I was a paperboy for the Post-Standard, and my route ended a=
the Chimes Building.  I saw the picture in the paper and got the route do=
ne
in record time that day, and pedaled my bike to the DL&W station.  There
was the engine, dangling precariously from the elevation.  I was
spellbound.

Incidentally, I can remember seeing FM Trainmasters (or at least Baby
Trainmasters) on that line, and I could swear that they were powering, in=

some cases, the passenger trains.  Can anyone confirm this?

Dave Ross
Cliffside Park, NJ (formerly Syracuse, NY)