(erielack) Winton breaker with EL hopper ID

Hi,

Just wanted to clear up some info with the results of some light research.
The EL hopper I reported derilict in Winton, PA at a site previously
identified as the Pompey breaker is actually at the Waddell breaker. Mike
Rushton has pics on his website.

I am not sure if the site was ever known as Pompey. The O&WHS's Scranton
Division book shows pictures of the Waddell breaker on the site going back
100 years. There is a shot if the current breaker. The fire occured in the
late 1970s, though the machinery kept processing coal into the '80's.

It was served by the O&W.

The famous orange Waddell hoppers apparently lasted until the '70's at the
nearby Northwest Breaker.

Also, for those interested, the gorge on Breaker Street at the Jessup/Winton
town line was between the Mt. Jessup and Judge COal breakers. There were E&WV
and DL&W lines plus mine trackage. My 1939 Erie map which shows all active
breakers from Sugar Loaf area up past Forest City shows these as well as
confriming the Waddell breaker.

Anyone know if the Waddell Coal Co. in Winton was the same one which had a
bituminous operation in West Virginia?

Rob Davis