(erielack) Mountain View Tower

Fred,

The Mountain View tower is listed in the Lackawanna employee timetable #108
as a "Designated Points for Train Inspection under Rule 101(a)."  -Rule
146(a). The 1952 Wilson Jones photo published in the 1983 E-L calendar shows
the tower is oriented towards the Boonton Line.  There is also a Wayne
Brumbaugh photo in Edward Gardner's "Along the Lackawanna Railroad-Volume 1"
showing an EB Boonton Line local headed up by #1111. Unfortunately, neither
photo shows a telegraph call sign.  Although the Brumbaugh photo shows a
"Mountain View" sign on the east side of the tower.

This would tend to make me believe that it is a Lackawanna tower rather than
Erie.  Physically, it resembled the Millburn tower.  However, I cannot find
any definative information concerning who actually operated the tower.  It
was apparantly removed between 1955 (TT #108) and 1959, since TT #116 makes
no mention of it

According to Tabor's book, it was built in 1904.

  Pete S