(erielack) Commuters or Non commuters Nightmare

Here is one for you. Nashville which is a growing city has no Mass =
Transit except for one commuter rail line. I have tried driving through =
on I-40 and spent as long as 4 hours going West trying to get on I-65 =
South.  Also, there is I-24. traffic involved.  There is no buses, =
except for Greyhound.  The old PRR station has not been used for years. =
Amtrak has Nashville listed but does not stop there. You either go to =
ATL, MEM. or to
MBN [ The New Orleans] via Chicago to get to NYC. In order to get decent =
airfare you
have to purchase tickets months in advance or pay $1000+ for RT.. out of =
Nashville.
    Now Rail America as bought up several short Haul Freight Lines that =
feed into
Class 1 Railroads such as CNX; NS, and others throughout the country. I =
saw one of their locos lately on the South Central Tennessee Railroad.  =
That railroad operates
52 miles from Hohenwald to Dickson which carries 3,700 carloads of wood =
chips, paper, chemicals and processed foods annually. What is needed is =
some competitive
Public Transportation.  Bus vs.. railroads vs.. Airlines . Why doesn't =
Rail America do the
same to Passenger Lines?
        Before World War II there were experimental light weight high =
speed Pax trains running trans-continental at speeds over 125 MPH on =
existing tracks.  However, at outbreak of the War,  they were melted =
down for war time use and were never re-created at the conclusion.   =
With air fares based on per mile utilizing the Hub System,
it can cost a fortune going from Point A to B via C, D, & E, with no =
guarantees in reaching Point B.  The new Amtrak train is using some of =
the earlier technology in the suspension system.  The way the Public =
Transportation system is designed  and operated to day, resembles the =
Pony Express system of yesteryear!
        By the way, I choose NJT  Trains over Short Line Buses in cost =
and comfort to NYC out of Orange County even  though in Hoboken one has =
to take the Path Train either Uptown or to the  WLC.

Alex

"scanlpr_@_usit.net"

           =20