Re: (erielack) re: Tower Designations

There's been a lot of interesting info come on this thread, but I have a
question generated by it.  Apparently there was some duplication of call
letters over the entire railroad, now how did they keep that straight?

Say there was an QX tower in New Jersey, and also a QX tower in Ohio.  I
can see that there wouldn't be a lot of confusion generally, but when the
ops got on the line, how far did their signal go?  Were telegraph signals
for operational purposes circuited differently in some way?  By division?
Or did an op's call go Jersey City to Chicago?  That's a little hard to
imagine, but maybe that is what happened?  How did this work?

With just two letter combinations there's only 26 x 26 = 676 combinations
available, plus 26 more for single letter calls, so that's 702 . . . I'd
guess that that wasn't enough in the days when this was THE way to
communicate.

SGL