Re: (erielack) Re: Pocono service

In a message dated 05/14/1999 7:09:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
"gelwood_@_dnaco.net" writes:

<< "erielack_@_internexus.net" >>
This has nothing to do with watching trains. Over 5 million commuters use NYP
each week from various transit systems. Those commuters are coming in from
MTA, LIRR, NJ Transit, and AMTRAK. This is about numbers of people who are
alredy commuting. It is estimated that by 2004, that the I-80 corridor will
be so grid locked that rush hour will be a parking lot on I-80 (if it it
isn't already). The most recent study indicates that there is a need to have
the service. This has been justified by the numbers of projected users and it
will be.
It worked in Florida where they started up Tri-Rail. An experiment there
became a restored line that has over two million passenger trips each year.
If those commuters moved back to I-95 in S. Florida, it would be devistating.
I travel route 80 every day and 2004 seems to be here already. There is no
way a Martz bus can make a 2.5 hour sched from NY to Scranton with rush hour
condtions on I-80 as they are now. Four out of five days this week it took 50
minutes to go from mile 47 (Parsippany) on I-80 to mile 37 (Rockaway).  Thats
a little over 10 miles per hour. That's not commuting, that's torture.
Backups are 9 to 15 miles long on a daily basis. Most of this problem for
MARTZ buses was caused by the removal of the HOV lanes. They used to be able
to speed through this mess. No more though. Rail is the only way to "spell"
relief.

Seth T.