Re: (erielack) Tower designations?

Maybe there's an old "Lightning Slinger" out there who can give us a more
detailed explination for these designations but I recall being told that
since more than one tower was on the same telegraph circuit all would here
every message being transmitted, therefor, the two letter designation was
tapped out three times in quick succession preceeding a message to alert the
particular tower or station that the following transmission was for them. I
know of at least one former Dispatcher on NJ Transit, Sherman Glass, who had
to learn it when he first hired out even though it was rarely used. I'll ask
around and see if there is anybody left in Hoboken who still remembers. Not
many old heads left these days.

Al Holleuffer.