Re: (erielack) Cut-off service

"Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" wrote:

> Rob,
>
> > In my eyes, the whole transit picture in NEPA realting to the NYC
> > metropolitan area is germane to our thread. Perhaps, since I
> > am looking at
> > the big picture, that's why I called the lack of NYP service
> > from Scranton
> > myopic in the first place.
>
> . Faster than the train, and
> probably a little less expensive. What's the train's "value proposition"
> here? What compelling reason do people have to take a train vs. a bus?

I think that one point is that the train will not get stuck in a traffic jam on
I 80 or at the Lincoln Tunnel or be stopped by a heavy snow.

When I rode the DL&W between  Newark  and Basking Ridge on  the Gladstone branch
any snow brought out the "snowbirds" to grab all the seats and complain about
the service.  The trains always made it.

The Lackawanna County and Monroe County folks seem to have done some home work
on the subject of loadings.  I would love to read it but have heard it in public
discussions by them.  There also are predictions out here that I 80 will become
a parking lot at times in the not too distance future.  EPA air polution rules
deny NJ the right to construct more lanes on I 80 so there is a great need for a
alternative transportation.

Pete

- --------------309C8A149AFA3ADBE33C6526--