RE: (erielack) Cut-off service

> 	Actually, if my memory serves me right, the Aldene Connection was
> put
> into service on April 30, 1967.
>
> 	More important, though, commuters on the Raritan Valley Line never
> had direct rail service to New York.  Prior to 1967, they had to ride to
> Jersey City and transfer to ferryboats.  So the Aldene Connection
> certainly
> did not make it any worse for these commuters.

	[Gripp, William  [NCSUS]]

	Obviously you've never commuted to NY.  I worked on Wall Street for
over 3 years.  For while I took the train from Delawanna to Hoboken, later
from Towaco.
	When I took the PATH in I was totally exausted and ready to turn
around and go home by the time I arrived at WTC (even when I had a seat).
When I took the ferry to the World Financial Center I was refreshed and
re-energized by the time we docked in NY.  The PATH is just another
gruelling leg of the commute while the ferry is relaxing.  I'm not the only
one who felt this way as there were others I worked with who did the same
commute (NJT to Hoboken) and EVERYONE felt the ferry was a superior way to
get from Hoboken to NY.  So I would maintain that the CNJ commuters did
loose something with the Aldene plan.