Re: (erielack) Modeling preference, line, era, location, operations......

>A little different topic, half survey, half food for thought.......
>
>How many on the list have, are planning or building a model railroad ????

In progress.

>If yes to the above, what road are you modeling or basing a freelance on
>???

Is there a road other than the EL? ;-)

>If staying fairly strict to prototype.....
>
>What era, equipment, and actual rail line are you modelling or planning to
>model ???
>Response does not have to be an EL or predecesor line.
>Most importantly, what reasons, WHY did you choose the line, era, region
>you did......

I'm bending history and doing the EL's Marion Division, as I believe it
would be in the 1990s. This is due to a number of reasons. I chose the
Marion Division for the same reason that I chose the EL...It was the
place/road that my family (both sides)had worked for over 130 years. The
period I chose as I didn't care to see my beloved railroad go down under a
government financed reincarnation of PC, plus I do enjoy the modern
equipment. This way I can play "what if" to my hearts content, with the
added benefit that with just a few changes, we can revert to the 60s-70s
period as well. The countryside lends itself well to modeling through use of
blue styrofoam as it is generally flat, but not 'Kansas' flat, so there is
ample opportunity to construct bridges, culverts and what-not. To add to the
freight revenues, I moved the GM truck plant from Roanoke, Indiana
(Wabash/NS) to the EL outside of Huntington (Better marketing department on
the 'Friendly Service Route').

Michael Dye ELHS #1516