Re: (erielack) Modeling preference, line, era, location, operations......

Gary-

I refer you to the following net pages for my answers to ALL your questions.

- -Joe Jordan

http://TrainNut.Railfan.net/OaklandLayout/OaklandLayout.htm

http://TrainNut.Railfan.net/BWLayoutImages/BridgewaterLayout.htm

At 12:18 PM 5/11/99 -0600, "Gary_Merrifield_@_NOTES.UP.COM" wrote:

>A little different topic, half survey, half food for thought.......
>
>How many on the list have, are planning or building a model railroad ????
>
>If yes to the above, what road are you modeling or basing a freelance on
>???
>
>If staying fairly strict to prototype.....
>
>What era, equipment, and actual rail line are you modelling or planning to
>model ???
>
>Response does not have to be an EL or predecesor line.
>
>If you are not now modeling, but have considered modeling a specific rail
>line, please respond on that...
>
>Most importantly, what reasons, WHY did you choose the line, era, region
>you did......
>

>Before I moved West and got to love the western roads, and more
>specifically the DRGW in the Colorado Rockies and Utah desert, there were a
>number of excelent lines to model in the Northeast I considered long and
>hard.....
>
>PRR Elmira branch, mid fifties, Great scenery and small towns that lend
>itself very well to model benchwork.  Neat manifest and coal traffic, light
>P-70 passenger car business, great mix of steam and diesel.  NYC had
>trackage rights over a portion of the line as did the Erie to Watkins Glen.
>
>DL&W line from Corning NY area to Mount Morris NY.  Lots of neat small
>towns, varied small industrys, double track frieght railroad and
>interesting interchanges with other lines in route.  Yard and helper
>operations from Groveland over Dansville hill.  Circa 1951.......Late DL&W
>steam and diesels,  light locals operation, heavy coal, manifest and 1st
>class passenger trains....
>
>Erie B&SW and former Erie main Salamanca to Dunkirk, 1950's
>Very good scenery and small town mix that works well into model benchwork.
>Again the steam-diel era mix that looks grweat operating thru small rural
>towns.  Dayton grade out of Gowanda for pusher operations.
>
>Erie CAnisteo River Valley between Addison NY and Hornell NY. era
>1970's...late EL
>This again is Allegany foothill scenery, excelent to model on 3' shelf
>benchwork, backdrops are key.  Little local traffic, this was the spine of
>the EL main and saw heavy frieght traffic of all kinds.  Double track, 50
>mph minimum line here.  This is a great line for those who wish to model
>long a frequent mainline lenght and speed trains.  Those who have a large
>fleet of those excellent EL SD's Uboats, geeps and mixed in F units.  I use
>d to chase trains here before Conrail, man was it great.  Doing this line
>would require sizable staging yards at each end.  Traffic frequency and
>volume are the keys to modeling this in an intersting manner....also need
>to do excellent scenery.  Big car and diesel fleets are a must.
>
>But now that I have moved.....for me it's "Defy gravity...ship Rio Grande
>!!"  Our's is loosely based on the Tenessee Pass line from Texas Creek to
> [...]
Joe Jordan
mailto: "pamela_@_blast.net"
http://www.blast.net/pamela for the Jordan Comedy Network & Train Nut page