RE: (erielack) Scanton Pax Service

> 2) Locomotives:  The Genesis 2 engines can't handle the trains
> in the North River tunnels due to the grades, over 2% in both
> directions.  Remember, they are 3000-something horsepower in diesel
> mode, but considerably less in electric mode.  It's equivalent to
> having a built-in electric switch engine.  You'
> d probably need two engines to get 6 cars through the tunnel at
> speed.

I'm not sure about that... Remember, you have a downgrade into the tunnels,
and you can pick up a good amount of speed for the climb out... Any
engineers on this list care to comment?

>Then again, you might need two to get 6 cars up and down
> the grades in the Poconos, which were helper districts in DLW days
> and the passenger trains used multiple diesels back then.

Most DL&W passenger trains that I see photos of ran with a pair of E8's -
2000 horsepower diesels, without all the fancy traction control today's
modern diesels have, not to mention the lighter cars of today. I don't think
a six-car train today would have much of a problem with a pair of 3200 HP
P32AC's (Genesis 2's)