(erielack) Hoboken happenings...

Hello all, Happy Mother's Day to everyone's moms out there!

Today for Mother's Day, my family took out Mom to Hoboken for brunch (my
brother is attending Stevens and is currently in finals, and thus it was
easier just to go there). After eating, we walked down to see the "new" park
in town. The park, which opened about two weeks ago, is located ON the
former United States Lines pier, directly across from the DL&W Hoboken
Terminal. Take a trip down there! The park juts out into the Hudson,
offering some amazing view of NYC, but even more importantly, if you walk
down to the end of the pier, you can get a great view of the ferry side of
Hoboken Terminal, complete with the newly-restored "ERIE LACKAWANNA" sign!
The pier also opens up new photographic opportunities of the Terminal's
street-side waiting room entrance and ferry slip entrances!

Speaking of the terminal, there is some big-time work going on in the
waiting room, including installation of four large chandeliers. This is all
part of the historic terminal restoration. Should look really nice when it's
done. One question (and mind you, I'm not complaining): Why was the sign
restored as "ERIE LACKAWANNA" instead of just "LACKAWANNA?"

As for the rest of the area around the pier, I hadn't been there in a while,
and as such was surprised to see the headhouse of the Port Authority piers
there completely gone - wiped out!  Much of the Hoboken Shore terminal
trackage is still visible - get shots while you can - but you have to look
carefully - there's a layer of dust on everything there.

Photos when I get 'em developed... :)