Re: (erielack) Erie RR in Jersey City

I have 2 pictures of this area posted to view. The first is at,
http://erierr.railfan.net/jc1.JPG
and it shows the east end of the Erie's Bergen Tunnel in 1996 taken from
the NJ Turnpike approach ramp to the Holland tunnel. Notice above the the
tracks it is overgrown in the area where the original cut used to be. The
ramp which carried the tracks down to the terminal parralleled the one on
the right in the picture only at a lower level. You might compare this
picture to the one on page 45 of Rod Dirkes and John Krause' book, Route of
The Erie Limited. The red rr bridge in the foreground, is that of the Old
NJ Junction Railway. Just east of this bridge was the old OS tower.

The second photo is a shot taken from the same spot only turned 180
degrees. It is at,
http://erierr.railfan.net/jc2.JPG
It shows the old Union Terminal Cold Storage building and just to the right
of this building, you can still see an Erie signal bridge which I think may
be Grove Street. Does anyone know. Anyway, that's all that's left that I
could see, and if anyone on the list knows how much of this is still being
used, let me know.

Fred Stratton
http://erierr.railfan.net
ELHS#2733