Re: (erielack) A bit of an apology Re: Railfan tours, and Inlinebob's opinion

> Sorry for losing it.

said

> Rob

That's OK, Rob, apology accepted, even if you have to cop that little "but
I'm right, y'know!" attitude before you say "Sorry."

Yeah, I suppose you are "right," but I can't say that I think that we did
anything "wrong."  Like I said, took only pictures, left only footprints.
Did no one any harm.

I have seen "railfans" doing  _stupid_  things, and have seen theft in
progress (and did something about it) and have said things to some of the
dumber ones to get them to stop being so visibly dumb.  And I DID say that
getting permission is my preferred mode of operation.

Blake's story about the reception on IHB was interesting, but in my
opinion, the rare exception.

>>end of any flaming or apology action<<

Now, if I may, another story:  About 20 years ago (ouch!) I was driving
past the Beacon Park Engine Terminal here in Boston, and "Omigosh! That's
an SDP45 in there!" [Erie Lackawanna content!] So I zoomed home, got the
camera, and called in:

"Hey, you have an SDP45 in your shop, can I come in and look at it?"
"A SD-what?"
An SDP45, number [I don't remember]"
"Just a minnit - pause - Hey, you're right!  Yeah, sure, come on in!  Ask
for me, Joe"

SO, I flashed over there at a high rate of speed, and found Joe.

"Thanks a lot, Joe, do you want me to sign a release?"
"Release?  Naw, just another piece of paper - this is my shop [which it
was, he was in charge of the place]."

As we walk out to the engine:

"Can I get on the engine too?"
"Sure"
"I really would like some shots of the roof, can I climb up on the top of
the hood?"
"Sure, just watch your step"
"OK, I won't be long, so I won't keep you from what you're doing."
"Oh, don't worry 'bout that.  I'll just leave you out here.  Lemme know
when you leave, OK?
"You bet!  Thanks,  Thanks a lot!!"

So I have five minutes alone with this mama, looked in the cab, walked
around the walkways, just about shaking with excitement.  Time for the best
part, and I climb up the hood!  I'm taking a couple shots and I see this
guy down on the ground shaking his fist at me and signalling me to get
down, NOW!  I climb down, and try to tell him that "Joe" said it was OK,
which he cannot hear because he is ROARING at me about what a stupid s**t I
am and what dumb mfkrs railfans are and on and on and on, literally
vibrating with his rage, and he starts pushing/lifting/dragging me off in
the wrong direction to get me out.  I finally got him to understand that if
he was going to throw me out, it was in the other direction, so we reverse
and head toward the parking lot.  Finally I go limp so that he can't lift
me and tell him that I am NOT leaving without telling "Joe" that I have
left.  This seems to make some sense to him, so we change course again,
towards Joe's office.

He drags me into the building and literally throws me into a chair in Joe's
office and starts screaming at Joe about this dumb mfkr he caught out on an
engine.  Joe is on the phone - politely says into the phone:

"Excuse me a moment." (covers the mouthpiece)
Says to the guy "!!WHAT!! is the problem here???"  (he's pissed at being
interrupted)
The guy starts screaming again, whereupon Joe says:
"Will you shut !!UP!!!"
He shuts up.
Joe says "This gentleman is out there with my permission to do whatever he
wants to do - now what is your problem?"

All air escapes from the hot air baloon, turns on his heel and slams the
door on his way out.

Joe looks at me and says "Did you get everything you wanted?"

Not wanting to return to the scene of the battle, I said "Not really, but
that's OK, I'll leave now"  Joe apologizes for the guy's behavior, and says
it is a recurring problem with the guy, and tells me to come back soon.

Never have.

So that's one of my experiences with asking permission.  Maybe now you can
see why it can be a judgement call.

SGL (if that's OK with you, Inlinebob)