Re: (erielack) Harriman, NY "Charles Minot" plaque

Blake D. Tatar wrote about the monument to Charles Minot that was about 100
yards to the west of the old Harriman station . . .

and

Bill Guimes replied

> 	Some time in the late 70s or early 80s, the
> plaque was in Hoboken Terminal, placed on the wall
> on the main concourse between the old florist shop
> and the coffee stand under the old control center.
> Some time in the mid 80s, it disappeared as
> mysteriously as it appeared. The control center
> and the other structures on the concourse are now
> demolished for the terminal restoration. Given the
> size and conspicuous location, I don't think it
> was stolen, rather in someone's basement.

and I thought, "Oh, Bill, it wasn't stolen, it's 'just in someone's
basement'?"  No doubt taken with permission.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Some of the easiest things to steal are in plain sight.  Show up with the
right tools and a white hard hat and you can take damn near anything, not
that I ever have.  I did once walked all through the D&H Colonie shops
during the day during the week, with a friend.  I wanted direct
measurements of Alco C424 windshield windows and some other information.
Our white hard hats, measuring tapes, steel clipboards and sport jackets
were employee repellents, even though we were also carrying cameras.  We
literally had employees turn on their heel and walk away from us, they
thought we were management or maybe OSHA or something

SGL