Re: (erielack) DL&W Caboose Colors

"schmieder_@_goes.com" writes:

>  Here are my conclusions as of this time (of
>  course, they may change again with time and more research) -
>  Wood  Cabooses -    Scalecoat II Caboose Red #2014
>  Steel Cabooses -    Scalecoat II Boxcar Red #2013
>  (Yes, I think they look better different colors)

There's a new twist to the color issue, in that in doing the research to
paint a real Lackawanna steel caboose, 896 in Whippany, Bob Bahrs, Chris
Mazzei and myself have tumbled to what we feel is damned close to a dead
ringer for Glidden No.204 Standard Brown, which is what the railroad used in
1954.  This color is called Cinibar, sort of a cinimon brown; it's a burgundy
based paint with brown added.

This color has the maroonish / brown look in the sunlight, and the faded
Hershey bar look in cloudy weather.  It also matches almost every photo of a
caboose when compared under similar lighting conditions.

I'm not yet aware of a model paint of that color, but somebody must make
something.  If not, we'll circulate this color among the manufacturers to
make something work.  Yes, the Railworks cabooses are very close.

                         ....Mike