(erielack) Stillwells still rolling...

Speaking of Stillwells, while following a genuine Pershing 2-8-0 on the Texas
State Railroad, carrying the markers was a genuine Erie Stillwell car that
had its vestibules opened up ala the Lackawanna Boonton Line coaches.  It
looked odd, like it had wings.  But it is still running, something rare for
Stillwells.  I'll get Paul a slide of it one of these days.

The Stillwell cars utilized a unibody design, the crossbearers and centersill
were  integrated  into the entire car structurally, and the carbodies carried
the weight of the car.  On most designs, most of the weight of the car is
carried on the center sill.  When the Stillwells rusted, and entire
structural integrity is compromised.  Thus, very vew are running, whereas a
little rust on the Lackawanna and CNJ and Rock Island coaches didn't affect
them fatally, which led to longer lives on tourist roads.

I wasn't aware of any Stillwells in Arizona, but I'll ask around.  I've been
to most of the passenger roads in Arizona and don't remember any Stillwells.

                            ....Mike