(erielack) The Old Road

I have seen several maps of the old main line west of Netcong, New
Jersey.  There was a direct route between where the Mount Olive
Station now stands and the Netcong Station.  This line was abandoned
probably back in the late 40's or very early 50's.  There was and
still exists a very strange loop that runs between these two
locations.  Does anyone know why the straight through route was
abandoned in favor of the very tight curve presently used.  The
straight through track was abandoned long before the Sussex Branch
was torn out.

I always wondered why this track removal took place.

Thanks.