Re: (erielack) Erie Branch?

Frank,

I suspect that the line your map shows is the PRR branch. I'm assuming
because all of the maps I've looked at show this line. The Pennsy
followed the east bank of the river down to Kinzua (the town) from
Salamanca and Olean east of that.

The Erie Bradford branch, left the main near Carollton (east of
Salamanca) and headed south to Bradford, PA and beyond. The Kinzua
bridge (named for the creek not the town) is located on this branch.

This three span bridge is located about a mile west of the Allegheny
River and about a mile east of Steamburg. It must have been, by the
quality of the construction used, important at some point. Naturally one
would expect the main line bridges and abutments to be high quality, but
this third span is almost as heavy and the abutment is part of the
abutment used for the main line bridges.

Since there isn't much else out there, was it maybe a spur for a gravel
pit for ballast or again an interchange with the Pennsy? It sure has got
me curious.

Regards,

Will Shultz