Re: (erielack) dl&w passenger

HelloAll!

[I've never heard of steam generators being put in express box cars.  Is this
documented any where? During DL&W days or EL?  How could the fireman get to
them enroute, when a problem occured?  Where they vented out the roof , and
where did they carry water, and how was it kept from freezing?]

The cars that I recall were still in DL&W paint...the plain paint, not the
billboards...so the few times that I saw them they stood out like a sore
thumb.

We're going way back into my memory here...I only saw one open, once...I'd
guess now that there were two 250 gallon oval tanks...maybe one water and one
fuel oil, or both water...heck, the boiler could have been electric for all I
know...

My aunt told me what they were when I first saw them (post-merger, 1964 or
65)...and one of them was in downtown Scranton at the old LCL building. It was
probably destroyed in the early '80s when the building burned (General alarm
fire that wrecked lots of stuff that Conrail abandoned...)

Let's hear it, everyone..anyone else see these things ?...

I'll try to come up with some documentation...I'm sure that there is something
somewhere !

Bill Gallagher