Re: (erielack) Trainmasters

The FM Train Masters were rated at 2400HP.
They were ahead of there time as most other
locos were 1500/1600 hp.

The EL never repowered their Train Master like
the Wabash and PRR.  One problem with the TM
was the high deck.  This made it impossible to
move between FMs and units of other manufacturers.
When the Wabash had their units repowered by Alco,
they also had the end deck cut down.

The Train Masters were real pullers and could accelerate
quickly.  I remember running a set of three light back
from YOungstown.  After I dropped off the caboose in a
siding and back on the main, I pulled the throttle
all the way out and the acceleration was great, better
than the Alco RS-3 which was much better than an EMD.
The sound of the FM OP engine was unique.

See my WEB site for a short discussion on running 1860
on the Meadville-Cleveland run on Christmas eve in the
snow.  Its in the OPS section.

George Elwood
EL WEB Site

email "gelwood_@_dnaco.net"