RE: (erielack) EL Paint

I'm glad I'm not the only one who spotted this! (I thought I was going nuts
for a while). This is no "accident" - it seems that around 1973/1974, the EL
received new Scotchlite nose diamond decals. The problem was that the
closest color Scotchlite had for maroon was a dark red, which is the color
you see. An excellent photo to see the "stark redness" of the logo is at:

	http://gelwood.el.wny.org/loco/3646a.jpg

Note that most shots of units with these logos have it appearing very clean
and dirt-free. My theory is that the inherent properties of ScotchLite make
them appear to be more "intense" in color, disguising any accumulated dirt.

Also note that neither this logo nor the original logo used "true" EL
maroon! The original logos were more of a brown color than maroon (my guess
was that this too was a cost-cutting measure or just a limitation of
whomever printed these up) Another dumb fact: They never did print up
"small" Scotchlite diamonds (the ones that appeared on the two-headlight
ex-DL&W E8's and the short hood end of most RS3's), probably since the power
they would have been destined for were close to retirement...

	- Paul