RE: Lackawanna Cut-Off -- GOOD NEWS!

4.0.995.52

This was all due to the HR 2400 Transportation  Bill that I posted info
about to  the list about 2 weeks ago. Now that HR 2400 is signed,  the
restoration of the Lackawanna Cutoff is on course, as is a lot of other
mass transit projects including double tracking Tri-Rail/CSX in FL from
WPB to Miami (due 1999). The next major steps in Cutoff restoration are:

1. Finish the LS Transit System MIS (Major Investment Study)which is in
progress.  Due in 1999.

2. Need Finding of No Significant  Environmental Impact Statement (aka
"FONSE", pronounced  "FONZI") as issued by Federal EPA (maybe in 2000).
This can be expedited with some political pressure from transportation
friendly politicians.This is where letter writing and a little push in
the right place can help.

3. MCDOT (Frank Reilly) has to complete a project plan/tentative design
and request Federal Funding from Federal DOT under HR2400.This can't be
filed until the "FONSE"  is issued.

4. 2001 Go out for bids  and award contract.

5. 2003. Buy a ticket at Scranton Station for NYP.

Seth T.

Start Construction

Seth